Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book Review: A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas

Reaaaally like all of Kleypas' historical romances ^_____^

The best i think i the Wallflowers series.

In A Wallflower Christmas, it's like a sequel of the series, except it's told from Hannah's (heroine) perspective. Annabelle, Lillian, Evie, and Daisy are back again to conquer the world!! YAY!

Here's the summary:



It's Christmastime in London and Rafe Bowman has arrived from America for his arranged meeting with Natalie Blandford, the very proper and beautiful daughter of Lady and Lord Blandford. His chiseled good looks and imposing physique are sure to impress the lady in waiting and, if it weren't for his shocking American ways and wild reputation, her hand would already be guaranteed. Before the courtship can begin, Rafe realizes he must learn the rules of London society. But when four former Wallflowers try their hand at matchmaking, no one knows what will happen. And winning a bride turns out to be more complicated than Rafe Bowman anticipated, especially for a man accustomed to getting anything he wants. However, Christmas works in the most unexpected ways, changing a cynic to a romantic and inspiring passion in the most timid of hearts.


Anyway, an excerpt from the book,






"..There is something i must talk to you about first." Damn it, there was a quaver in her voice, despite her attempt to sound calm and dignified.


Marcus's expression changed as he heard the distress in her tone. He pulled her up to face him, and he stared down at her with instant concern. "What is it, my love?"


Lillian took a deep breath. Another. Her fear and anger and worry were so great, it was hard to force the words out. "I...I should not stand in the way of your ... pursuits outside marriage. I know that. I understand how it is with your kind... I mean, you've done it for centuries, and i suppose it was too much for me to ask that you--that i--would be enough. All i ask is that you be discreet. Because it isn't easy to watch you with her--the way you smile, and--" She stopped and covered her face with her hands, mortified to feel tears springing to her eyes. Bloody hell.


"My kind?" Marcus sounded bewildered. "What have i done for centuries? Lillian, what the hell are you talking about?"


..."Lady Kittridge"


There was a short, shocked silence.


...He gave her a little shake. "Lillian... Am i to understand that you think i have a personal interest in her?"

... "..tired of me," she said, her voice cracking. "That you want someone else."
Marcus stared at her and let out a string of curses.."Come with me."...

He took her across the courtyard, to the stables.
Lillian blinked in surprise. "A white Arabian?".. "She looks like something out of a fairy tale."
He gave her a sardonic glance. "She's your Christmas present."
"Oh." Lillian was suddenly breathless.
"It's taken me six damn months to make the arrangements," Marcus continued curtly. "Lady Kittridge .. is very particular about whom she'll sell one of her Arabians to. And as this horse been promised to someone else, i had to bride and threaten the other buyer, and pay a bloody fortune to Lady Kittridge."
"And that's why you've been communicating so often with Lady Kittridge?"
"Yes." He scowled at her. .. "And in return for my pains," he growled, "I'm accused of infidelity! I love you more than life. Since i met you, I've never even thought of another woman. And how you think i could have the desire for someone else when we spend every bloody night together is beyond my powers of comprehension!"
.. She was filled with a combination of giddy relief and alarm. "Marcus, every thing's settled. I believe you. I'm not at all worried now."


"You should be worried," he said with chilling softness. "Because it's clear that unless there are consequences for this lack of faith in me this problem may arise in the future. So I'm about to remove any doubt about what i want and from whom."

.."Come here," he said quietly, his expression implacable.
... He kissed her, his mouth rough and greedy... "Marcus," Lillian gasped, "I'll never doubt you again ... Oh, God..."

He smiled privately against her hair... "See that you don't," he muttered.





*cheeky grin* Hehehee

Oh wasn't that so romantic? Especially




I love you more than life. Since i met you, I've never even thought of another woman.


Hahaha, which is more than what the real man nowadays would do.

*dreamy sigh* Lisa Kleypas's heros are always soooooooo alpha-ish (In a good way). *grin*


Goodbye amigos!

No comments: