Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review: Inked



Four of today's hottest urban fantasy writers together for the first time! From today's most provocative authors come four tales of urban fantasy and paranormal romance exploring body art that is more than it seems-in a world of magic and mayhem that always leaves its mark. This captivating tattoo theme surrounds each author's popular characters and worlds: Karen Chance 's war mage Lia de Croissets, Marjorie M. Liu 's demon-hunter Maxine Kiss, Yasmine Galenorn 's Otherworld Intelligence Agency operative Camille D'Artigo, and Eileen Wilk 's Lupi world.



I am quite surprised with me enjoying this book. Usually I don't prefer reading short stories because they're either too weak (as in the plot) or the story progresses too fast for my liking. However, my view for Inked differs.


The noticeable difference about this is that the stories are like a prolouge or an extra story added to the already published book that had featured the characters. So instead of the authors having to create new characters and to fit an interesting plot into about 130 pages, these writers just added the storyline to the already rock-hard characters! And this is what made Inked so fasinating.

The first story is Skin Deep. Lia is a headstrong female (who isn't?) who finds that there is something suspicious about a murder case. And not just any type, it's one that had it's victims skinned whole. Were victims. So yeah, this is definitely a paranormal-cum-mystery-cum-romance. Interesting.

The second is Armor of Roses. I think I have read the story that happened before this. This story should sort-of be like an extra. After all, there's Zee, Dek, Mal, Aaz and Raw. Not forgetting Maxine and Grant.

The third is Etched in Silver. I am thinking this is the prolouge for another book that should be coming out. Although I like all the stories here, I have to say, this was my favourite. You can't beat the starting of the romance between the two characters, Camille and Trillian. And the moment they met each other. After reading this, I am up for the series done by Yasmine Galenorn. I have to confess, though, I have some suspicion that I have seen the books written by her many times in the library but did not want to pick them up after I read the back summary. Perhaps I shall try them the next time...

The final story is Human Nature. I was pulled in to this story and I enjoyed it. But there was one problem --- it had too much twist and turns. Or just too much mystery things going on. My brain can't taking that type of guessing. So the way Lily solved the case was lost on me, because I couldn't even think by the time she reached the conclusion. But that's all right. She found the killer (with the help of Rule), arrested her and saved the day!


Overall, I have enjoyed this book throughly. I would advise you to pick Inked up because it is good. And doesn't have all those things the other short stories books have. You'll be immersed in them.
 
Rating: 4/5

No comments: